At Waterknot, we seriously consider the impact of our business practices on our community and the planet and whole-heartedly try to make the world better, not worse. While any product that is made in this world has an impact, we strive to make sure ours is more positive than negative. It is our sincere hope that the art and design we create will brighten someone’s day by making them laugh or smile. This may sound like a little thing, but we believe that humor, open communication and deeper personal connections will go a long way toward healing our ailing world.
While the interpersonal good that comes from sending a card to a loved one is undeniable, the fact that we use resources to make and ship that card is just as true. Because of this, we strive to be a model corporate citizen by making environmental sustainability and social responsibility primary concerns, not just afterthoughts.
Currently our environmental efforts to are focused in the following ways:
- We donate a portion of our profits to organizations who are working for the environment and social justice
- We print our cards only on recycled content or tree-free papers (please see below for more info)
- We pair our cards with 100% recycled (80% PC) kraft envelopes
- We package and protect our cards in recyclable clear sleeves made from 10% recycled PET
- We recycle (or reuse) all of our office paper and production make-ready
- We source recyclable boxes and packing materials with the highest recycled content we can find
- We print our catalogs only on 100% post consumer recycled content paper
Becoming a truly sustainable business is a lofty goal and an ongoing process. We realize there is always room for improvement. While attempting to make an honest living for our family, we aspire to be transparent in our business practices — all the while treading as lightly as we can, every step of the way. As we strive to lessen the impact our business has on our planet and the people who inhabit it, we are well aware that we don’t have all of the answers. However, we are committed to making changes and improvements as we grow and learn.
If you have ideas, thoughts or comments we’d love to hear from you.
A note about paper: The vast majority of our cards are printed on 100% post-consumer recycled content, FSC certified paper. However, a handful of designs are printed on colored and textured papers that contain at least 30% post consumer recycled content. These lower recycled content papers are all either FSC or GreenSeal certified. Our art prints are produced on 100% cotton paper. Cotton paper is made from a by-product of the textile industry so it not only saves trees, it keeps industrial waste out of landfills.